Sunday, July 13, 2008

LITTLE BIT OF THIS AND THAT

A lot of things have been going through my mind and they are just aswirl in my mind. I still haven't done my "meme" that my siter Lisa targeted me for. I'll get to it later.

My daughter got me into MySpace but that isn't going to last. It's too complicated. I'd rather be blogging.

I'm on the prayer team at church and I've volunteered to put on a mini retreat for the team. I've been viewing various DVD's I have. Instead of live speaker we will do study with Nancy Leigh DeMoss speaking on personal revival and Beth Moore speaking from the Book of Daniel for us. I'm excited about our two great speakers.

My Tuesday Bible study on Genesis will end in two weeks and we'll have a break for the month of August and start again mid-September. My leader-in-training will do a four/six week study on her own. I look forward to being the student.

I'm finishing with Breaking Free at the end of this month too. Breaking Free and No other Gods have been going almost side by side. They blend so well together in content. I've been observing my TV habits since being convicted from a lesson in No Other Gods. I do watch a lot of TV and realize I usuall just flick it on to veg out. I've started to deliberately not turn the TV on. So far so good. ONe of my favorite shows is SAVING GRACE with one of my favorite actresses, Holly Hunter. I just love some of her characters. SAVING GRACE is not the kind of show I'd want Jesus to find me watching. As the NOG study brought out, I've been rationalizing why it's OK to watch, I'm an adult, I'm not nieve,even though deep down I know it wasnt' right. (Lot of sexual content and nudity) Really, I tried not to think about it too much. Trying to keep my conscious quiet. Anyway after reading that chapter in week three I was convicted that it wasn't right. I had to give it up. I can't believe I felt sad about it and was relunctant to do it. I enjoy Saving Grace! I also had every show on my IPOD. I want so much to follow God and cleanse myself from all unrighteousness. I want to live for him and the first thing I have to do is give up Saving Grace. I've decided not to watch it anymore. I erased the shows from my IPOD. I also realized that Satan was the one whispering the following lies: "Your going to miss a good show" "Just watch the first show of the second season, then stop?" "It won't be that sexual this season" "God will still love you even if you watch it" and so many more reasons why I should watch. Well I am deliberately making the choice to give it to the Lord. He can have my time instead of TV. There are other shows that must go. Family Guy, TMZ, all the other stuff of this world. If I'm true to myself I DO KNOW what is junk and not edifying to my spirit. So that's been my struggle for the last few days. I plan to keep myself busy tomorrow evening so I won't be tempted to watch. That little conflict is one of many that I struggle with. But if I can give up Saving Grace I can give up more. Lord, help me in this struggle to give up the things that have no profit for my spirit.

My granddaughter Larissa had another seizure Friday. Epilepsy has been thrown out. The doctor says they are fever induced. She did have a urinary infection. So she's taking medicine for that. The doctor said whay probably happens is that the fever flares up suddenly and her brain can't handle it and she goes into the seizure. I pray God will heal her of these terrifying episodes. The doctors say she'll outgrow them. When Lord!?

Our church VBS is coming up July 21-25. I'm working with the preschoolers with my daughter Leah. VBS is very tiring (especially at my age with preschoolers)but it is so rewarding. When the week is done I really feel I did something of substance for the Lord. I feel I planted seeds and that just maybe someday someone will receive the gift of salvation because of their VBS teacher. I know it's not me that does the saving but I like to know I was working with God on this one, that God used me. Those little children are so precious. They love God with such innocence. They believe with no doubts.

Well, that's my little bit of this and that. I'll try not to let the days go by without posting. But you know me. I'll post when I post. Blessing to all who read this post.

I'm in His grace.

2 comments:

Abba's Girl said...

I think the Lord is dealing with a lot of us about what we watch on TV. My friend has come up w/ a list of why she watches Medium, it's as long as my list about why I should not watch The Sopranos.

You will love the Daniel Dvd's. My group is contemplating doing the study again this fall.

Blessings to you.

Annette

Lisa@UnexpectedJourney said...

I've never seen Saving Grace, but I had the same problem with Grey's Anatomy. That show had me hooked because of the great medical stories, but the storylines that dealt with the personal lives of the characters were highly immoral! And each season they got worse and worse. The last season was the worst yet with all the talk about who's having sex with who, a budding lesbian relationship, etc, etc. The Spirit finally won the battle and I have decided that I can no longer justify watching that show. I can't have the kids thinking that just because Mom is an adult, she's allowed to watch these type of adult shows. What's bad for their souls is bad for mine.